From his experience as visual/ plastic artist, photographer and journalist since 1984, Hugo Barbosa transits to professional film, video and performance creation around 1989; adds sound creation since 1994.
His work has been developing and shown in Portugal, Slovakia, Russia, UK, USA, Spain, Cyprus and Germany amongst others.
Independent film director and producer named AGFTM/ LX89 and HB: Prgms.
In video-art Hugo pioneered concepts such as video-painting and video-jamming. With A. Sa he has been developing the video as a musical instrument.
Selection of festivals, TV and venues where Hugo's work has been shown:
- Trecianske Teplice International Art Film Festival, Slovakia
- Expo 98, Parque das Nações, Lisbon, Portugal
- NCI - Independent filmmaker Nucleum, Lisbon/ Porto/ Coimbra, Portugal
- RTP 1 and RTP 2, Portuguese public TV channels
- Citemor annual Festival Montemor-O-Velho, Portugal
- Citemor TV, net TV production
- Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation, Lisbon, Portugal
- Atlantic Festival - Art, Body and Technology, Portugal
- Video Lisboa International Festival, Lisbon, Portugal
- Cinearte Festival, Lisbon, Portugal
- Arteleku, S. Sebastian, Spain
- CENTA - Center for artistic creation, Vila Velha de Rodão, Portugal
- Video Tone Festival, ACERT, Tondela, Portugal
- Spitz, London, UK
- Documentary Cinema Meetings, Minas de S.Domingos, Portugal
- O.R.T. - Organizing the Re-Allocation of technology, NYC, USA
- Resident video artist in LUX, Lisbon, Portugal